Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Feature Request?

I was thinking, Rory, that you said that you didn’t want to allow “cabbageCreate” to run other than immediately upon starting, but I was just wondering if for standalone applications, might it be possible to remove that restriction? It might make for a good prototyping tool that would lead to better VST gui’s… I admit that I am really more interested in writing standalone apps than plugins, so I’m biased…

The problem is that the standalone app, are just hosts for plugins. Each and every instrument that Cabbage creates IS a plugin. Can you tell me more about how you would use this feature? I’m curious to see how it could lead to building better GUIs?

I’m coming from a Pure Data background, and with it always having “instant gratification” for it’s gui, it’s just a different way of thinking.

Also, while the standalone might be a host, it’s a silent host (unless I’m mistaken, please educate me) and doesn’t really communicate with the internals of the plugin. You’ve mentioned that ‘cabbageCreate’ only runs before anything else so that the host has a static interface to deal with (those are my words, so please correct me if I’m wrong). And I totally understand that a DAW needs the plugins to be stable and static. But is there something in a standalone app that requires that same consistency?

It absolutely 100% does I’m afraid. The standalone ‘host’ works in the same way as any other plugin host out there. It’s just stripped down to the bare minimum. To support this I would have to write and maintain an entirely new plugin host. I really don’t have time to support something like this. Most of my free time is taken on the main host and plugins interfaces :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like