Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

How do I export to AU?

Hi, I’m completely new to cabbage.
I’m feelin really stupid right now, but how do I export to AU?
When I go to File > Export Plugins there’s only 4 options:
Export as VST Plugin Effect
Export as VST Plugin Synth
Export as VST3 Plugin Effect
Export as VST3 Plugin Synth

I’m on Windows, using version 2.3.0.

Thanks!

AudioUnit are MacOS only. As far as I know there are no Windows hosts that will load AUs. If you want to produce AUs you will need an Mac. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

If you were looking to share plugins on all platforms, you can set up an automated build using something like Azure. It looks very complex, and you only need to use about 1% of what its capable off, but is quite simple to set it. You could set up a process that would build the AUs for you and provide download links. This is how I build my Cabbage betas.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think so. I just have a friend with Mac and wanted him to test it.
I’m completely new to this, and I was looking for a good way to make plugins.
Using Azure or buying the Pro version is the same as taking a long shot in the dark. Specially considering how devalued my country’s currency is.
If I get better at it, I’ll definetly consider, tho. Again, thanks for all the help you provided, man.
May I ask on when did you release the Pro version? Was it last year? Just curious.

I think it was 2 years ago. Not many users, but enough to pay for the JUCE license :+1:

1 Like

Since you use both, may I ask you which one you prefer and why? Also, which one is more efficient? (Computationally speaking)

They are the exact same except pro users can hide their Csound code from end-users. That’s basically the only difference.

What? I thought JUCE was way more like C++ and Cabbage way more like Assembly. Dam.

Sorry, I misunderstood! Oh yeah, JUCE and Csound are worlds apart! You’re right there. Csound makes it really simple to prototype synths and effect. Cabbage helps me realise those ideas quickly. Writing stuff in C++ is a completely different ball game, although the end results are usually about 3 times faster than Csound code. You have to write absolutely everything from scratch1. It’s quite slow, unless you have a team of developers. But C++ is the industry standard language for audio apps, and JUCE is used by a lot of top companies. \Needless to say, knowledge of C++ and JUCE looks good on the resume!

1 I guess libraries like JUCE mean you don’t have to write everything from scratch, but there is still a huge amount of low level code to write.

1 Like

It’s just a matter of building an installer that will include the bits of Csound you need. There are pretty simple to build.