Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

If one uses VSTs in CSound, then how can these be repackaged to a Cabbage patch?

If one uses VSTs in CSound, then how can these be repackaged to a Cabbage patch?

Does the user need to have the VST .dlls or can they be “embedded” into Cabbage patch?

https://csound.github.io/docs/manual/vst4cs.html

I’ve never used VSTs in Csound but I imagine that you would need to include the .dlls along with your Cabbage .csd files. Distributing dlls can be a little tricky considering many are commercially licensed. Of course you could just rewrite all your favorite VST plugins as Csound/Cabbage plugins :wink:

This is related to this idea here:

Care to summarise? I don’t have time right now to read through 81 posts! :joy:

Here’s the initial idea:

Ok, i think I understand a little better now, but i’m still a little unclear on the final product you have in mind. Something like Bidule, but less proprietary?

I’ve never been a fan of loading VSTs in Csound. i always found it somewhat flaky, and a little troublesome. I know it runs on Windows, but have you been able to get Csound to load VSTs on OSX? Cabbage will be able to load VST plugins in the future. So it will be possible to mix VST plugins and Csound code without having to get Csound to load the VSTs. Are you familiar with Cabbage Studio, which is currently being absolved into Cabbage 2, but that lets you patch together effects and instruments in a modular fashion. One doesn’t even need to know Csound to work with that.