Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Jitter Synth instrument

Here’s an adaptation of an instrument posted to the Csound list by @IronAttorney aka Pete. I made some changes to his original instrument to reduce the size of the code, but I’ve tried to keep it as close to his one as possible. Each time a note is played, the table it reads from is modified slightly with some jitter. It creates a some very nice timbre.

TableJitter.csd (5.5 KB)


thanks for sharing this fantastic instrument. I try it, and sounds very good!

Thanks a lot @IronAttorney for that, and thank so much Rory! :wink:


Not a problem! Have fun with it :smiley:

Nice one Rory, just had a little play, sounding spot on. Code’s looking good too, clear and compact, much easier to deal with than the essay.csd that I wrote :wink:

I must return to it at some point and add a few more bells and whistles. I wonder if this recursive UDO approach is more efficient than the instruments you had created? To be honest, the instruments you posted seemed to work without putting that much strain on the CPU. But I guess you must have started pushing the CPU hard if you decided that you needed a dedicated opcode for it?

CPU usage was one angle I was considering, and the other was the fact that my attempt at a compact UDO totally failed. I knew I wanted to use multiple instances of it, have more control over the size of the original table, and over the amount of jitters in the table, so without a working UDO, wriitng an opcode makes sense.

I think I mentioned this already on the mailing list, but I have an opcode version that allows you to select how many jitter points there are across the table, regardless of the table size. It then spreads out the jitters as evenly as possible along the table, and interpolates the amount of jitter on the points between. This is handy, because different amounts of wobble points create different timbres, and if you want to use a table that’s much bigger than around 256 or 512, then wobbling every point in the table starts to sound like noise.

I still haven’t run any performance tests on the opcode to see if there is a notable improvement, so I’ll do that at some point. I’ll make sure I test your UDO version aswell.

Sound interesting. I’ll certainly second the inclusion of the opcode among the Csound devs when it’s ready.