Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

liveConvolver4 not compiling properly

Hello!

I am dying to get liveConvolver4 up and running because I desperately want to try it out. I can load the csd file into Cabbage and preview the program, but when I export and try to load it in FL Studio, the plugin only displays a small black square. I have installed Csound which got me past the “plugin not loaded correctly” stage, but now I am still left with this unusable black square. What could be the problem?

Hi @Kallyn, welcome to the forum, what is liveConvolver4?

Oh! I’m sorry I forgot to link it.

Here is a demo, essentially it uses a chunk of the sidechain input as a convolution impulse for the main input. It looks very interesting so I wanted to try it out.

I can open it in Cabbage and see the controls, but when I try to export as a VST or VST3 the output only has a little black square where the interface should be, maybe 50x50 pixels.

You’ll need to ask the author, it might never have been set up to be run as a plugin. @Oeyvind is a member here, let’s see if he can offer some insight :slight_smile:

Hi. Nice to hear you want to use the liveconvolver. As far as I know, it should ‘just work’, but I haven’t tried with FLstudio. Could you try in another DAW, just to try to track down the problem? Reaper is always the goto choice when debugging such things. I’m not at the computer right now, but IIRC I did make some unorthodox use of gui widgets in the liveconvolver. Some things that could be optimised now, as Rory provided more efficient ways to implement it. If it works in Reaper but not in FL, I can look into updating it for better compatibility.
Øyvind

Unfortunately I don’t have another daw to test it out in, and I don’t think I’m willing to download a free one to test it out again. I’m fairly certain that there are some other plugins that do what I am looking for, but they are very unpopular since it is such an unorthodox concept.

REAPER gives you a free evaluation period to use it with no restrictions whatsoever. After 60 days it only bugs you to buy the license. It’s more traditional than a “beat-making DAW” like FL Studio and I struggled a bit with the learning curve, but looking at a YouTube tutorial and searching questions online will get you up to speed with using it normally for testing stuff.

Should be your best bet, if you choose to test this out again.

I actually decided to try out exporting this effect into FL Studio, and I’m not having any issues with the GUI. Used Windows 10, Cabbage 2.9.0, and CSound 6.18.0.

The only changes I made prior to exporting it was changing every instance of “oncolour” in <Cabbage> to “colour:1”, plus subsequently changing the normal “colour” to “colour:0” for the same widget. I didn’t test if this resolved any issues; I simply did it because Cabbage didn’t color the syntax, and I haven’t seen oncolour in the current documentation.

Here are the VST3 files (a few kilobytes too big for Discourse :upside_down_face:): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ExO3CaotMFELt_pQUdbUZ_lwclKI7SoK/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

You can’t be that interested in it then.

Can you name any? I’m curious to know if there are.

Thanks for testing @circuitdust! Good to know it still works fine even though Oeyvind wrote it with an earlier version of Cabbage :slight_smile:

1 Like

The ReaFir convolver l/r does something similar to what I was expecting, but it’s pretty glitchy sounding. I was hoping that this plugin would produce a cleaner output.

I’ll check out that vst when I get the chance. Thanks @circuitdust!

1 Like

Really? I’ve used that plugin quite a lot and I never thought it could produce anything close to what Oeyvind’s live convolve stuff can do. But the reason I asked is because I’ve yet to see any commercial plugin that offers realtime convolution*. Almost of of them work exclusively with static IRs.

• I don’t really use a lot of plugin, so that might be the reason :slight_smile:

I think one thing that oeyvind’s can do different is store a much larger impulse. Can’t say I really understand what either are doing but I’m fairly certain convolve l/r multiplies the amplitudes of corresponding bins to combine the left and right into one sound.