Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Multi Outputs don't work in Studio One

That looks really good!! You’re really fast a problem solving! Thanks!!!

The problem isn’t solved yet. I have multiple outputs but the audio sucks. Still not right.

This should work now. See my other post about changes to the multichannel code. This works fine for VSTs, but I haven’t checked with AUs yet.

Hi Rory,
did you upload a new build?

Yes, it’s in Azure from earlier today. I’m still trying to get the rest of the plugins working, but multichannel synths in Studio one are testing and seem to be working fine.

I’m not sure if I can find it. Looks like the 2.5.29 version that I downloaded isn’t it.

Let me check, there might have been an issue in the build…

My bad, looks like that build was not run at all. There is a new build cooking as we speak. Should be done shortly.

And it turns out it didn’t build that time either. The current build (unterwegs) should work.

Hi Rory,
I can route multi outputs now from Cabbage instruments to the Studio One mixer. They only come as single channels though. Studio One recognises them as mono channels and you can’t route them any other way.
I’m just guessing here, but it seems to me that there is a protocol that tells Studio One about the channel “size” / mono or stereo. It might be as simple as just the naming. Kontakt stereo outs appear i.e. as OUT.1.L, OUT.1.R, OUT.2.L, OUT.2.R …ect.
Would it be possible that you give the option of naming the outputs somehow in Cabbage?

Yes, they can be grouped as stereo pairs, but won’t this make things a little awkward if you wish to route to mono tracks?

The problem in Studio One is, that I only get mono like this. I guess I could take two mono channels and pan them hard like in the old days, but that’s most definitely akward and also not looking professional in terms of selling this. I’d rather abstain from multichannel to have a least one stereo in that case.
Best would be to have the option somehow if that’s possible.

Yes, I see what you mean now. Indeed, this is not ideal. I will sort this out. It’s just a pain in some hosts when you drag a plugin on to a mono track. The host will tell the plugin is should only process a single track. But if you have set Csound to 2 tracks you will get a load of noise in one. Other hosts, like Reaper, will just send the mono signal to both channels and avoid any kind of silliness. Anyway, I’m knee deep in this now, and won’t give rest till it’s sorted.

Nice! Yeah sounds really messy with the different behavior of different DAWs. Hope you find a good solution.
Oh, and many thanks for sorting this out!!

In the end it will be much better than the ad-hoc implementation of pervious versions. I have to keep telling myself this!

just realised that I only get mono now even with nchnls = 2. I think I’ll have to revert back to 2.5.29 for now.

Mono, as in both channels summed to a single channel? Strange, it passed my tests yesterday. But yeah, maybe it’s best to wait till this storm has passed :grimacing:

I get one mono channel by default and can extend to the second one. Doesn’t seem like they summed, they’re just split up.
When I route or unroute channels, the instrument re-initialises. Is that supposed to happen? I just noticed it, because my recall routines are not yet where they’re supposed to be.

When you change something like channels or sample rate, etc, the host will call a special prepareToPlay() VST function. In there I have to restart Csound, which is some cases will reset any sliders and what not. I’ve tried to make sure this doens’t happen, but I still see instances of it happening. A simple .csd file and some steps to recreate it are always most welcome :wink:

The wonderful people at PreSonus got back to me and have given me a full copy of Studio One :wink:

I’m installing on my Mac as we speak.