Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Problem with building

The projucer looks in this directory by defaults. All that needs to be copied into this folder is the VST SDK. Do you have the VST 2.4 SDK?

I have a version with a pluginterfaces/vst2.x/ directory that has the necessary .h files. Just not sure where to put it :slight_smile:.

When I unzip the copy of the SDK I have I get a 'VST3 SDK' folder with (what I think is) everything I need under it. Is this 'VST3 SDK' folder the one that belongs in ~/SDKs/?

Yes. And within that folder you should have a plugininterfaces folder with a vst.2 folder. Here’s how it looks on my mac:

I’ve replicated the directory structure you have there under my ~/SDKs/ directory on linux. Still having the same problem. I almost don’t believe it’s defaulting to ~/SDKs/ as I can’t seem to find that anywhere in the Makefiles or other supporting files.

Basically, the aeffect*.h files were missing under VST3_SDK/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/. I added them there, and I’m still getting file not found errors.

Just to be extra clear, the screenshot you’ve sent me is the directory structure under ~/SDKs/?

Here’s what I have

Your folder structure looks the same as mine. Did you modify anything in the Cabbage.jucer file? In the Linux Makefile Debug section do you have the following path:

“~/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK”

Also, the Projucer has a global paths settings dialogue that you can use to specify explicit paths…

1 Like

I didn’t modify any of the Cabbagejucer files, though I don’t see a Cabbage.jucer file, st a bunch of Cabbagejucer files in the cabbage root.

Here’s a quick grep of my LinuxMakefile directory: There’s no explicit references to that directory other than in the readme and one ‘echo’ string.

✘ nathan@AS-XPS-13-9360  ~/Repository/cabbage/cabbage-2.1/Builds/LinuxMakefile  grep SDKs *
buildCabbage:echo "It is also assumes that the VST SDK is located in ~/SDKs/"
grep: Cabbage: Is a directory
readme.md:In order to simplfy the build process, it's best that the JUCE folder resides in the same parent directory as the Cabbage folder. Make sure that the VST SDK resides in a folder called SDKs in your home directory, i.e, ~/SDKs, and Csound is installed in its default location. 

Is it possible the whole build is opinionated about being in ~/Repository/cabbage/...?

Maybe I will try the explicit path settings via projucer. I was just trying to follow everything step by step and there’s clearly a gap of some kind :confused:

1 Like

Do you have JUCE in the same directory as your cabbage root directory?

[edit] sorry, it’s CabbageIDE.jucer…

1 Like

No, I didn’t edit CabbageIDE.jucer.

Both JUCE/ and cabbage-2.1/ live in the same Repository/cabbage directory.

I can’t see why it’s not building out of the box then. Just to make sure, can you check the global paths in the Projucer and also the ones I mentioned previously? None of the other Linux users on the list are having issues with building afaik…

Sorry to bump this old topic but:
I have a similar problem (I’m on a fresh debian 10 installation): I’ve built projucer (5.4.5), downloaded the steinberg SDK (vstsdk3613_08_04_2019_build_81.zip) and compiling cabbage gives me a couple of:

n file included from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/juce_audio_plugin_client_VST2.cpp:27,
from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/include_juce_audio_plugin_client_VST2.cpp:9:
…/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST/juce_VST_Wrapper.cpp:104:10: fatal error: pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h: File o directory non esistente
#include “pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h”

By looking in my SDK folder I’ve noticed that the vst2.x folder under plugininterfaces is missing (no aeffect.h, aeffectx.h vstfxstore.h files).
Can someone provide me a copy of a working sdk so I can check if it is the problem?

Stefano

You need the Steinberg VST 2.4 SDK to build the VST2 Cabbage plugins. Unfortunately these are no longer available, but if you can find a copy you can put them into that folder and it should build fine. Otherwise just disable the VST2(Legacy) build option in the Projucer CabbagePlugin and CabbagePluginSynth projects.

Adding vst2.x folder (found this sdk vstsdk366_27_06_2016_build_61.zip) solved the fatal error.

I have Cabbage and CabbageLite in /install/bin subfolders and they seems to work but where they should be? I can’t access examples from file menu like pointing at an non existent directory.

By the way this is theoutput of ./buildCabbage (488.8 KB)

Bye

Glad you got it working :wink: Looks like the script below isn’t setting any directory for the examples. I can add somthing to it, but where do you think they should go?

Don’t know either, but suspect that my build is wrong since no file was copied outside the build directory… but until it works i’m ok.

Did you run the installCabbage script with sudo? Either way, it should run fine from the build dir so long as the plugin .so’s are in the same directory.

Run as normal user, thats why. Thank you

I’ve been trying to install Cabbage but it didn’t work so I search for help and I found this , I did managed to install Csound and JUCE but not Cabbage bcuz I can’t find the file

• aeffect.h
  • aeffectx.h
  • vstfxstore.h

what should I do to get these file . Thank You

Hi @Sbh_Sh. These files are part of the VST2.4 SDK, which is no longer available from Steinberg. More details can be found in this thread. Just scroll upwards to here.

Btw, you might be able to find them online somewhere if you dig hard enough…