Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Python on Cabbage?

Hello there! I’m just new to Cabbage and I would like to know if there is a way to connect python with Cabbage in some way to have flexibility in the process of music making. I did a quick search about it here on this forum and I couldn’t find anything, just a post, but not mentioning the general ideas about it.

Any recommendations? Suggestions?

Greetings,
Slobodan

Check out the Csound Python opposed. They let you run Python in Csound, but only Python 2.7…

Super. I found this nice link everyone. http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/b-python-inside-csound/
You know if it is possible to make a real time FFT Graph/Audio Spectrum while you play?
It is possible with Python?

I’m sure you could do something like this, but note that some hosts might have a problem when you try to load plugins that run Python processes. I’ve seen this before. On the other hand if you only want to run this inside of Cabbage there shouldn’t be any problems.

If you are already familiar with Python, I think you might be better writing a Python program that hosts Csound. That would give you the most options. If you want to try running Csound from Python take a look at using ctcsound, which is the best way to do this. You can find docs for it here. I use this framework to prepare spectrograms and graphs for my instruments when I’m teaching synthesis. It works nicely with SciPy. Victor Lazzarini’s Computer Instrument book covers a lot of how to get going with this, and is definitely worth a read.

1 Like

Super answer. Thank you very much.