Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Real time latency reduction

Hi there,

I have created a cabbage patch in order to trigger events using a piezoelectric sensor connected to my audio device. When the threshold is exceeded it play a wave file.

But I still get latency problem between the stimulation and the response.
I already tried to reduce the buffer size, but if I set it on less than 640 samples the sound file is distorted.

I know that the CPU is an important factor and usually I work my macbook pro (now broken!!), but this project is for children in a school where I could use a sony vaio for a music workshop.

Any suggestion to reduce the time response?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

What OS are you using? And what audio drivers?

Hi Rory,

on my macbook pro using El Capitan 10.11 it was possible to set a good sample rate and using a simple Focusrite 2i2 the time response was good.

But the problem appears with the same audio device on a Sony Vaio with Intel Pentium 2020M 2.40Ghz with 4 Gb RAM using windows 10.

I would like to know if there is a chance to make it work better on small budget laptops as I have at my disposal in schools.

Thanks!

Are you using ASIO drivers? The Windows drivers are not good at all. I always use ADSIO4All on Windows. Also, are the instruments you are using complex instruments? I can try on my rather old i3 laptop tomorrow and see what the response is like.

Sorry for my late reply! Ah, I thought we didn’t need the ASIO drivers using an external audio interface, but I installed them and it is now working fine at 64 samples buffer size, so I am very satisfied with the real time response!

Thank you! :grinning:

Thanks for reporting back to us. That’s good to know.