Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Recommendations

Alright, while I am not full done with the gui here, I’m already anticipating some issues, and was wondering if you (Rory, or anyone) might have some suggestions on how to improve the performance of just the gui. Right now it is running about 20% of the cpu usage, but I’ve seen it go as high as 50/60% of cpu usage.

Huh, not really sure why, but when I run the version with the gui in a static Cabbage gui, it runs a little better, around 13%, but I find it curious what the difference is between using cabbageCreate or a static gui.

Anyway, here’s the files. I included the presets just form completeness…

Archive.zip (38.7 KB)

Thanks for your looking at this.

Mike

OK, reran these after rebooting Cabbage to run the two of them. The cabbageCreate version clocks in at around 12/13% cpu usage when I’m not doing anything, but it will spike as high as around 40%. It eventually comes back down to the 12%.

The static version runs around 9%, spiking up to around 33%…

Mike

Forgot to include the graphics, but their hard coded anyway, I’ve got to fix that.

I was reading a little about ‘setksmps’… I’m going to try using this tonight to see if calling some of these gui instr’s at a lower rate would help.

Ok, this doesn’t do what I thought… Can’t have a local ksmp that is larger than the global ksmp in the orchestra…

I won’t be able to check this until I return from my Easter break. But creating a UI with cabbageCreate, and creating one statically shouldn’t show any difference. They both fill the same data structures.

No problem! I’m still working on it, so I might have something better by then… Or maybe…

OK, I pared down the interface to just one small section, and it appears that this spike in CPU usage come only when I roll over a cabbage widget that has a popupText enabled, and as long as I stay over that widget, the CPU usage stays spiked. I tested to see if turning off the popupText for a widget will prevent this spike, and there is no spike whatsoever.

Archive.zip (1.8 MB)

So, in the example in the archive, once the interface starts up, I’m getting around 3% CPU usage. If I rollover the “algorithm” knob (which still has the popupText enabled), I get the spike up to about 25% in the CPU usage until I move the mouse off that widget, and the CPU usage returns to the 3% level.

If you rollover the “midi” knob, there won’t be any spike because that knob had the popupText set to 0…

I’m going to just disable all the popupText for now, and see what that gets in return.

And the versions of everything is Cabbage 2.9.22, Csound 6.18, and Mac OS 10.13.6.

I also downloaded the latest version of Cabbage (2.9.41), and it is doing the same thing.

Mike

That pop over text is a known CPU hog. Some people prefer to disable them and use value boxes instead.

It’s part of Juce? Right? Anyway, I don’t need them, so I will just disable them.

Mike

It’s a mix of the juce one and a diy job. I think the beer version of juce handle this better. I must take a look.

1 Like