Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Save textbox value with snapshot?

Just wondering if this is possible to implement? I am using a text box to let users rename a control/label etc and I want the value to save with the snapshot.

textbox is deprecated. Use texteditor instead. Its contents gets saved with presets, but I just noticed that pressing the save button in the popup dialogue screws with what is in the texteditor. I’m looking for the reason now…

Ok, this actually works fine but it depends on the host. And this is something you need to be aware of. Some host will steal keystrokes from the plugin. I was testing this in Reaper and no matter what I did, I couldn’t get the text from my texteditor to save. Just as annoying was the fact that each time I pressed space, Reaper would start playback. After some searching I found that Reaper has special setting to allo this to work:

Each host is different in this regard, so I’m not sure how safe it is to have something like this in a plugin :thinking: There is no issue with the preset save window because it is modal and robs keystrokes.

The solution here might be a modal text entry dialogue widget? Either way, i’m going to put a note in the Docs about this behaviour across different hosts.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I will test it but if a modal text input window will override the daw keystroke listener - you have my support for that! :slightly_smiling_face: