Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Sound problems with vst´s in diferent daw´s

Hi!

I´m having problems when I load Vst´s exported from Cabbage 2. All works fine when I load them into Ableton 10 or Cabbage, but in Cubase 6 and Cakewak, it sounds like a buffer problem…I use the same audio settings in all daws and the same buffer size . Here´s a video showing the problem:

Also I have sustain notes when I test in cabbage, I can live with this problem, but it will work better without it.

Thanks!

Which version of Cabbage are you using? Where did you download it from, and what OS are you on?

Sorry, I forgot to add some information …

I´m using Cabbage 2.0.03, I downloaded it from your github (here:https://github.com/rorywalsh/cabbage/releases/tag/v2.0.03)
I´m on Windows 10.

Can you try this one and let me know if it’s any better. I fixed an issue with Cubase since the release you’re using so fingers crossed it’s working Ok now…

Whit this version I´m having the same problems, except in Cabbage editor, I no longer have note sustain problems.
Any idea?
thanks!

Some users noticed some issues with FL studio recently which was due to ksmps sizes. Can you try a very simple synth, like the FirstSynth example from the Misc examples menu and see how that is? If it’s also bad in Cubase can you try setting ksmps to 1 and exporting again? My Cubase trial is up so I can no longer check any plugins with it…

1 Like

Yes, with ksmps=1 we solved the problem in cubase and Cakewalk.

Ah, but it’s not quite so simple as that. Running plugins with such a low ksmps can lead to dropouts because you’re basically doing sample by sample processing. Play lots of notes and things might get hairy! For FL studio we saw that a ksmps of about 128 or 256 also worked well and kept CPU usage quite low.

1 Like

Yes, I suppose that working at 1 ksmp would not be the best option…

I am a indie developer and I have experience with Max / Msp and c# in Unity, currently distribuing my devices in a professional way.
I would like to make the jump to the VST / AU and I would like to know if Cabbage is a good option for it, the ideal is that the devices should have maximum compatibility.
I´ve been with Cabbage and Csound for short time, but after found it, I believe it is the best option for me.
On the other hand I believe the work you dedicates to this software is incredible and I am very grateful to have a tool like cabbage.

I wonder if there is any version of the cabbage scheduled that fixes the ksmp problems?

I would also like to know if there is any place where you can find some commercial devices created with Cabbage.

Thanks!

Ps.Sorry if my english is not tottaly clear…

It’s not that easy to ‘fix’, but there are things that can be done to address it. One thing that could be done is to override kmps settings when a plugin is loaded into a particular host. This can be done, and I used to do it for FL Studio. But then it means users can’t tweak the ksmps settings themselves.

The developer of this (hi @Retornz) plugin found that a kmps of 256 fit best across all hosts he tested his plugin on. Others might find a smaller or larger ksmps better. It really depends on the instrument you’re writing.

The plugin I linked above is open source, so you are free to read through the Csound code and learn what you can from it. The plugins listed here are created with Cabbage Pro. This is more or less the same as vanilla Cabbage but gives users the option of hiding the Csound source code from end users. You are free to share and sell any plugins you create with the public version of Cabbage. If you wish to hide the Csound code from users you will need a Cabbge Pro. PM me if you want more details about that.

No problems at all. This forum uses some very interesting flavours of English!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and info @rorywalsh. I take note.

@MarioNietoWorld I definetly recommend you Cabbage !
You can really make pro looking and sounding plugins thanks to Csound.

As @rorywalsh indicates, the ksmps really depends of the plugin, for my plugin ToneZ, I had to set ksmps = 256, else the CPU usage was way too high !
The problems come from the oscillators, in ToneZ you can have up to 8*4=32 osc/note, so imagine you play a chord of 3 notes, you have 96 osc playing at the same time !

If you ue high ksmps, and plan to make “tabs” (like I did in ToneZ), keep in mind something : in the Cabbage form
you have to set a guirefresh(time_in_ms) ! If you don’t it will base on the ksmps value, and you will have like 1 second delay between the click on your tabs.

For me it looks like this :
form caption("ToneZ") size(719, 468), colour(0,10,20), pluginID("T0N1"), guirefresh(10)

Hope it will help :wink:

Thanks for you advise:) I was trying ToneZ and it is very impresive!

1 Like

@MarioNietoWorld I’m glad to announce you that with @rorywalsh we found the issue of the weird sound in FL when ksmps > 1 were used !
And Rory fixed it :wink: Now it works great at ksmps = 256

All my FL users are so happy right now !

1 Like

Fantastic @Retornz ! I was re-testing your synth in Cubase and now works perfect, no clicks and noises…
Where can I download this new Cabbage version?
Thanks!

1 Like

Oh great !! I wondered how it worked in Cubase so now I know it works great !
So @rorywalsh now we know it works in Cubase too :wink:

Rory wait a bit to make sure it works in all the daw, but you can already get it from the appveyor repository, I don’t have the link right now sorry :confused:

1 Like

@MarioNietoWorld you can find dev snapshots here:
https://dev.azure.com/rorywalsh/cabbage/_build?definitionId=1
Just click the latest successful build and then navigate to the artefacts button. You’ll find a build for Windows and OSX. Let me know if this works as I’ve just started using DevOps and plan to stop using Travis and Appveyor…

2 Likes

Yes! installed and tested, now this Last cCabbage version it works perfectly on my computer, I also exported it a project to vst and run it in cubase and it sounds without clics. I´ll try it more, if I find any problem, I´ll let you know.
Thanks you so much @rorywalsh

2 Likes