Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Sur-press Aliasing

Hi everyone,

is there a module which can handle the foldbacks created by aliasing back to the audible spectrum? I can see a simple distortion module creates a lot of aliasing. Is there an oversampling module in existence? How everyone else handles this?

thanks!

No, there isn’t. It’s a pity because distortion produces quite a lot of it. It is possible however to do some kind of oversampling with Csound. I wrote a basic instrument to do this some years ago1, but a better Csounder than I, @Oeyvind, shared what I assume a better solution to the Csound list last year. I’m sure he doesn’t mind if I report it here.

oversampling.zip (208.8 KB)

[1] I’ll try to find that instrument. I see in an email to a friend I mention how I have it working pretty well, but I never sent the instrument code. But the email is about 2 weeks newer than my last code example :laughing: It will be on a machine somewhere I suppose…

great!!! Thank you so far, I will see what I can do with the one from @Oeyvind

Not a better Csounder than you Rory! but thanks anyway.
I had a look at our email exchanges from when we pondered this the last time (summer 2020), and I found this zip file from you. Maybe this is the one you were looking for, @rorywalsh?oversampling_Rory_august_2020.zip (943 Bytes)

Thanks @Oeyvind, to be honest, it was so long ago that I can’t recall if this is the final version or not. But I think @rootnote should have enough to go on here :+1: Happy new year btw! I hope to share a beer with you at some stage in 2022!

thank you ! I will go through now :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how efficient either of these approaches are. You might want to check your CPU at some point :+1:

working on 88200 or 96000khz is also solution.