Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Table usage

After studying the GEN table functions, I’ve noticed that some of them produce tables with interleaved values (ie. Table[0] = xValue, Table[1] = yValue, etc.).

I guess my question is how common is this interleaved data used? I’ve am working with fractal data of two or more dimensions, and currently I’m using separate tables for each dimension. Is there some benefit that I’m not seeing to having the data mixed into one table? Or should I just remain blissfully unaware of these things and continue to keep the data separate?

Are these table opcodes not agnostic to how the data is saved, i.e. interleaving or non interleaving?

I’m beginning to wonder if these types of tables are used because there are some opcodes that expect these interleaved tables. I’m guessing the only advantage to having it all in one table is for storing it as a single file.

I can’t think of any table up chords that expects interleave data and only a handful of oscillators that can read from stereo function tables.

One particular set of GEN routines and opcodes is GEN41 and the ‘urd’ opcode. It takes two values for each random value generated by ‘urd’.

GEN51 is used to generate a microtonal scale (which is kind of ironic, because I can’t get it to work, so I use GEN02), and use the ‘cpstun’ set of tuning opcodes.

Also, the set of array opcodes has the ‘interleave’ and ‘deinterleave’ opcodes.

So, I was just wondering why these things are offered, and what they are used for.

I assume they’re offered because most audio files are written in interleaved fashion.