Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

The midi no longer works (and neither does the audio)

Hi Rory,
Suddenly midi and audio stopped working, in Windows 10 and 2.7 Cabbage release.
if I uninstall version 2.7 and install version 2.3 it works, but when I reinstall 2.7 it doesn’t work, both midi and audio.
Maybe the problem arose when I changed this line:
-n -d -+rtmidi=NULL -M0 -m0d --midi-key-cps=4 --midi-velocity-amp=5
like this:
-n -d -+rtmidi=NULL -M0 -m0d
Is there a way to completely reset the 2.7 installation? There must be a setting somewhere that remains stored and creates the malfunction.

I found that a solution is in the “Cabbage Patcher” window…
I found everything disconnected. Was there an automatic disconnection at midnight on August 1st? :thinking:

Revealed the mystery. I had unknowingly unchecked “Auto-connect nodes”, on Settings. :bell:

I had this exact same problem, and this was the fix! Thank you!

But I am pretty sure that I have not unknowingly unchecked “Auto-connect nodes”, and I think there must have been something else that triggered the uncheck?

I suspect a “End task” in Task Manager after Cabbage froze is the cause, but I am not entirely sure :thinking:

Similar on Mac. Cabbage surely has ways of teaching us of its inner workings in some unexpected ways sometimes :wink:

I think I started noticing this in June around v2.6.10 before transition to Csound 6.16.1. Along with another probably unrelated thing (?) - reverting to older beta requires deleting the app, else older installers don’t overwrite newer apps. I’m hopping back sometimes when debugging.

It seems that Rory is in good shape, I am a little less. :sweat_smile:

I didn’t make any changes here to the automatically connect. But if anyone can identify what might be causing it to revert to disabled please let me know. Auto connecting is enable by default:

If it happens again, I will post in this thread about what I think triggered the disable. When Cabbage crashes, are there any logs generated that could help identify what could cause Auto-connect nodes to be disabled?

Although you can set a logger file, it wouldn’t provide any help in this instance. The most helpful thing in this case is probably this thread :wink: