Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Using Python in/with Cabbage - models? issues?

Are there any examples and models of Cabbage Instruments that use the Csound Python opcodes?
Are they still working? As some of you might have noticed, in the latest release of Csound, the Python opcodes were moved to a plugin directory, and thus, they no longer appear as part of Csound unless one can figure out how to build them (on a Mac there are no step-by-step instructions yet), and install/link/include them.

In particular, one of my students was trying to run Chris Donahue’s Evolutionary Synth, but it fails with a syntax error showing that the first encountered Python opcode is ‘missing’ (they probably all are)

error: syntax error, unexpected NEWLINE (token "
") from file /Users/mitchellmcdermott/Desktop/Evolutionary Synth/Patch/evosynth.csd (1)
line 72:
>>> pyinit <<<
Unexpected untyped word pyinit when expecting a variable

Can any of you suggest some solutions here - or share some of your working examples of Cabbage instruments that use the Python opcode and Python?

Thanks.

PS - I have attached the Evolutionary Synth (for me - even the buttons and sliders do not appear, but this Cabbage was build some years ago as you can see from the manual.Evolutionary Synth.zip (72.7 KB)

I believe Dr. B has pretty much summed up the main issue above. Just writing here to iterate my support for finding a solution to using Python in Csound. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated to getting this functioning again.

Thanks,
Mitch

I’m sorry I can’t provide any solid help here, but as Richard points out, those opcodes are no longer provided with the standard Csound installers.

On a related note, the use of the Python opcodes has always been a problem in Live. Live seems to dislike plugins that call 3rd party executables and used to blacklist them when scanning.

And I think Live might actually ship with its own version of Python too, which caused further problems. Tbh, I can’t recall exactly. All I know is we spent a lot of time trying to get some Cabbage/Python plugins working with little success in Live. On the other hand hey works perfectly fine in other hosts.

Good to know that Live itself can contribute to the problem - even after one figures out how to get the Python opcodes running again inside Cabbage. Thanks. -dB

1 Like