Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Vcv examples?

If you export everything as VCV Rack modules, then you will be able to offer users free and open source content no? But I have to say, it’s hard to keep up with VCV Rack updates. I’ve lost quite a few hours updating from one API to the next. I hope things don’t continue that way.

I guess my point is that we’d have to recreate all the basic modules that were once free. Just makes me want to concentrate on my own projects.

Are you sure the basic modules won’t still come with the community version of Rack?

The new version of VCV Rack will include the standalone version and the VST2 version in a single installer. Previous ideas of having a separate VST version have been discarded. It also comes with a price for the first time. The VCV Rack bundle will be $99 on release and $149 later on. The pricing may come as a shock but I believe it’s the best way to ensure continued development and support going into the future. Besides, there will still be a fully free version.

Not sure how official this is… And sorry, I missed that last sentence… If I remember correctly, they will still continue to offer 1.0 for free… But it also sounds like there are significant differences that you can’t use plugin versions complied for other one.

VCV Fundamental, the core modules that ship with Rack, remain open source.

1 Like

I opened an issue (somewhat an epic) to work through the process of prioritizing and reproducing the Cabbage widgets in CabbageRack:

I’m also experiencing a lot of confusion trying to get an end-to-end example working with Cabbage, CabbageRack, Rack SDK, and Rack. While I am certainly novice to the whole process, there may also be some missing context in the instructions.

@brylie, exporting for rack is different from exporting other plugins. It took me a bit to figure it out, but basically when you do the export for rack, it creates a “blank” rack plugin and CSD file. Once you do that, you will then edit the CSD file that was just created. So, don’t start with a finished plugin, as the export process will just create anew blank CSD file. You will then edit that file in the plugin.

It shouldn’t create a blank .csd file? When exporting, it should copy the CabbageRack folder, which should be beside the main Cabbage app, and write the contents of the current .csd file to that folder, overwriting the dummy one. If after exporting, the .csd file contained with the CabbageRack folder is empty, something is broken.

I only meant “Empty” as in the default. I should have been more clear.

damn this thread went on quite a bit after i disapeared.
but i have my motivation back now so i might make something again.