Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

VST does not process audio in Ableton

Hi, I need help , I made a VST that uses a DLL customized by me, but it’s not working in ableton, VST opened the GUI, the audio signal comes in but doesn’t come out. this problem is not occurring in other DAWs that I tested, because in Reaper the VST works normally and in VSTHost it also works.

I really don’t know what’s going on, I’m very grateful if you can help me!!

Hi @kaioluan, welcome to the forum :slight_smile: This is an odd one. It works fine in some hosts but not in Live? :thinking: Are the dll/csd in the same place when you load them in each host? Or have you copied them to different locations for each host? Perhaps you post the example, or you can PM it to me if you prefer. i can try it here and see if it works for me. Btw, what version of Cabbage are you using?

Hi Rory

  • Are the dll/csd in the same place when you load them on each host?

    Yeah, they’re in the same folder, the .dll I load via --opcode-lib, the .csd file and the VST3.

    I did some tests and found that ableton is really not loading my .dll file written in --opcode-lib.

    And other hosts like Reaper and VSThost can work normally.

  • Or did you copy them to different locations for each host?

    No, each host loaded from the same “Comumm Files/VST3” folder.

  • Maybe you post the example or PM it if you prefer. I can try here and see if it works for me. By the way, what version of Cabbage are you using?

    I can send it, but I don’t know how to send it by PM. :sweat_smile:

    I’m using cabbage version 2.8, and Csound 6.18

I’m sorry, I didn’t realise you were using a custom opcode. Now I understand the problem better, and yes, I’ve seen this problem before. Are you passing the full path to the opcode? Also, you might try using --opcode-dir and point to the directory that contains the opcode. In both cases you need to use an absolute path.

Don’t worry about that. I know exactly the issue you’re facing. It seems Live sometimes changes directory while Csound scanning opcodes. The last time I ran this through the debugger Csound ended up thinking that system32 was the opcode directory and tried loaded system dlls as opcodes :roll_eyes: That’s one of the reason the --opcode-dir option was added to Csound. To make sure this doesn’t happen under any circumstances.

Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Thank you Rory, now works normalled in the Ableton!!

Great, can I ask what the final solution was? It can be tricky using absolute paths, especially if you need to build an installer for your plugin. Windows has a Program Data directory in its root drive. It is usually a good idea to install your opcodes to a sub folder within that directory. The path can then stay the same for all installations.

Sorry for the delay to answer you.

My final solution was really to use the absolute path, I really don’t think there’s much to do in this situation, but for some reason, even passing the absolute path, csound wasn’t finding my .dll file, but by a stroke of luck I ended up adding the character “;” right at the beginning of the string containing the path, it worked csound loaded my .dll


–opcode-dir=";F:/ path to dll…"

I believe you could say better what it contains! :sweat_smile:

Wow, that’s odd. I’ve not come across that before, but hey, Csound moves in mysterious ways :rofl: