Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

What files to include when trying on another machine?

Hi all,

A few questions if I may:

  1. I have Cabbage 2.8.0 installed on Win10.
    How can I create 32 bit and 64 bit VST (not VST3) plugins?

  2. I know that when I want to use the exported VST on another machine,
    I will need the renamed .dll and the csd.
    Since it’s 100% guaranteed that the other machine will NOT have csound,
    what csound files do I need to make available as well without having to install csound?
    And where would they live?
    I know that the dll can be in a folder known to the host, the csd file in ProgramData,
    but what about for csound?


Csound can be placed anywhere in the system path. You could put it into the ProgramData folder, but you will need to add that path to the system path during installation. You could also leave it in the main plugins folder, but it might cause issues. Some hosts might think the Csound dll is a plugin. Alternatively, you ship all of Csound with your plugin, but silently install it to the standard Csound location. This would reduce conflicts for users who already have Csound installed. Btw, unless you are using plugins opcodes, you only need to include the basic csound.dll

FWIW, the pro version of Cabbage embeds Csound into the plugin dll so you don’t need to worry about where Csound goes.

Hi Rory,

Thanks very much.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “plugin opcodes”.
Are these special opcodes over and above the usual opcodes,
such as “ins”, “chnget”, “outs”, etc ?

Yes, in most cases you use the built in opcodes. But there are a handful of opcodes that are only available via plugin opcode DLLs.

Many thanks.

1 Like