Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Widgets should not share channels names

I think the one that annoys people the most is the duplicate channel name warning for largely static widgets such as images, groupbox, etc. I have updated the system so that it only reports these problems for widget that can be automated.

This was caused by a minimum constraint on widgets when in GUI mode. I canā€™t remove them completely, but I have reduced the minimum size fo 4 x 2 pixels. You can still have widgets smaller than that, but you shouldnā€™t click on them in edit mode.

Thanks for this and the bound hight fix! I have some really tiny labels, but I think the new minimum will be sufficient for my needs :slight_smile: And thanks for the explanations. Iā€™ll try to report other issues when I come across!

1 Like

The terminal text is shown in red when syntax errors and it stays red after the errors have been corrected. Cabbage restart is necessary to remove the always red terminal messages (ver. 2.7.5).
[edit] this is actually not general, I could get this by having maxallo "Ball", 64, randomText doesnā€™t cause this issue.

I noticed this too. Iā€™m actually using a syntax highlighter for the output and once it detects an issue it causes this problem. The fact that successive outputs are kept in recent versions of Cabbage mean this often doesnā€™t disappear after a new compile. For now I might revert back to wiping the previous output messages on each new compile.

Not to but in, but with identChannel being depreciated, does this mean that ā€˜toFrontā€™ is also depreciated? The documentation says that ā€˜toFrontā€™ is intended for use with identChannelsā€¦ I havenā€™t tried to use is with the regular channels, and have been using ā€˜visibleā€™ to show and hide the plants I need.

toFront() should work fine with the new system. Iā€™ll update the docs :wink:

This minor issue seems to be mainly resolved in 2.7.8. I noticed however that having for example

checkbox bounds(110, 50, 20, 20), shape("circle") channel("Checkbox") active(0) 
image bounds(20, 10, 20, 20) shape("circle")

and clicking first on the checkbox and then on the image adds channel name to the clicked image. But only if you do the clicking in this order and if you have active(0).

Clicking on a widget should bring up the channel name anyway I would have thought?

Having the GUI editor work with the code editor is a bit of a pain. People told me I was mad to try to merge them together when one way or the other would be far simpler. As it stands, when you click a widget in GUI mode, it will only show text for identifiers that are not default identifiers. As each widget has a unique channel name it should show this channel name when clicked. It would make life a lot easier to replace all those properties and only allow moving and resizing of widgets in GUI mode, but I fear some users might be put out by this :thinking:

Yes, Iā€™m learning that youā€™re mad - in a good superhero sense! Your work is just incredible. I just hope you wonā€™t burn out. Thanks for the background info, very helpful! I think this double game works pretty well though, really quite prefect!

For me being able to manipulate widgets in GUI mode is absolutely a priority. There would be alternative ways of generating text for widgets, but no obvious alternative of seeing and adjusting in place (on the form).

I was asking before to avoid generating the channel name text and it seems you made it work :smile: There is only one (maybe more?) exception described above. So maybe you could fine polish this to make it perfect? However, this is really not that importantā€¦, but just in case you get boredā€¦:wink:

1 Like