Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Windows 10 slugs (resolved)

Windows 10
Cabbage 05 16

when opening cabbage32 the following dialogs appear:

…and 6 more

Cabbage32 05 15 opened fine…

When trying to open CabbageStudio, it just exits silently back to windows, which also worked in the previous v.

Cabbage64 seems to work for now, but I haven’t worked with it, just opened it.

None of those errors are technically related to Cabbage :wink: They relate to conflicts between your installed version of Csound and the one that ships with Cabbage. I’m looking into this problem. I need to find a way for both systems to co-exist without conflicts. Thanks for the report,I’ll try to get this working in the next version. You shouldn’t have any such problems with Cabbage64 as Csound is only offered as 32bit. That makes me wonder if I shouldn’t just scrap 32bit Cabbage altogether? Are there any hosts left that only deal with 32bit plugins?

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Ok then, eagerly awaiting next version then…

32 vs 64 bit:

Personally, one reason for 32 bit would be python compatibilty. Many libraries I depend on is only available as python 2.7/32 bit versions. Also, some old fave plugs are 32 bit only, so I keep my hosts 32 bit for now.

Ready to switch any century now!

You’re right. I had forgotten about that. I could look at using using a 64bit build of Python and seeing if I can get something going. Right now I’m having problems building the 32bit version of Csound. I hope to have an update in the next week if I can sort out my build.

Can you try this one(link below) and let me know if the problems persist? You should uninstall your previous version. Cabbage Studio is not included, but I’ll add it once I know the conflicts with the Windows Csound package are resolved.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11301894/Cabbage32Setup.exe

ok, tried

these came up, but only 4 of them:

…hope it helps

Ok, and finally can you try the updated version, at the same link. I think I have it sorted now. Deep breath…

sorry nope…

first time it seemed to work, but then mysteriously the slugs are back:

That’s odd. Another user reported the exact opposite. It didn’t work at the first run after installation when asked ‘Do you wish to run Cabbage now’, but worked fine after that? Did you uninstall Cabbage first before installing the latest version?

It is odd, yes.

Did uninstall, reinstall.

Tried again, to be absolutely sure.

First run, “Do you wish to run Cabbage now”, “yes”, it works, sort of. That means it opens without any dialogs, but the Audio Settings is not saved, Audio Device goes back to “none”.

On subsequent launches the “entry point” dialogs are back.

Loading a cabbage instrument/effect triggers two more “entry point” dialogs. Opening Audio Settings, sometimes my audio driver is choosen.

When it is, closing Audio Settings will trigger two more “entry point” dialogs, then the instrument seems to work.

Sometimes the Audio Device is “none”, no dialogs are shown and no sound.

Are there any prefs file(s) that should be deleted anywhere?

I’m running here on Windows 10 without any problems. I wonder can you try uninstalled Csound and Cabbage so we can at least start from a blank canvas. After they are uninstalled can you check their installation folders to make sure nothing is left. Then install Cabbage. Cabbage may appear to run on the first launch following installation, but I don’t think it’s opening any of the device drivers. Anyhow, that’s fine, don’t open after installation. Instead, let that installation windows close, and then try Cabbage from the start menu to make sure it’s working.

Then install Csound. These are the same steps I followed yesterday and I am not seeing any problems. If the problems persist then you can always try removed the libfltk.dll and widgets.dll from the Csound bin directory? It’s not an ideal solution but it should get rid of these messages.

ok let’s see here

uninstalled cabbage & csound.

reinstalled cabbage, ran from start menu:

works fine. audio devices in place, and several examples run as they should.

reinstalled csound (6.07.0 beta btw):

Dialogs are back. Also, when I run csound (from csound dir) as administrator, it opens csound from cabbage dir, triggering dialogs again. Starting csound from any terminal (not as admin) works fine though.

I could not find any widgets.dll anywhere in csound6 installation dir,

but I removed libfltk.dll:

Dialogs are gone, and everything seems to be running.

So, this will work for anything that does not use fltk I presume, time will tell…

How about Cabbage Studio? I’d really like to have it working…

thanks for all help!

Cabbage ships with it’s own version of command line Csound. I use this myself so I don’t have to bother with the other Csound installer. But I will make this optional. In the meantime you can just remove it. Actually, I should call it something else, lib CabbageCsound.exe or something like that. My bad, that was a poor decision.

Next up, Cabbage Studio :wink: I’ve just updated the installer to include Studio:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11301894/Cabbage32Setup.exe

Let me know.

No luck with Cabbage Studio.

Tried both the dropbox and the 0.5.17 beta versions.

Trying to open yields nothing, no dialogs or anything else, just silent exit.

Regular Cabbage hasn’t crashed yet though, fingers crossed…

I’ve tried it a few times here and it runs fine for me? I’m also on Windows 10. I wonder is regular Csound still causing some kind of problems for it. Sorry to ask, but would you mind uninstalling Csound and trying it? Perhaps there are still some conflicts with the standard version of Csound. If that doesn’t work I’ll prepare a debug version for you. That might help up get to the route of the issue.

Tried uninstalling Csound, but no change.

Cabbage runs fine, Cabbage Studio won’t open…

I’m stumped. Can you try removing this file from your user folder
C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\CabbageStudio\CabbageStudio.settings
Don’t delete it, just move it somewhere else. A new one should be created. I’m thinking that maybe it’s an audio drivers issue. Studio might be trying to open a bogus driver on startup? I’m clutching at straws here, but it’s wroth a shot. No one else has reported any issues with with.

Tried moving settings file, no change.

Also, new settings is not created.

I examined the settings file and it looks right, it’s the right audio device and plugin settings. I don’t think it goes so far as to actually read the settings when I try to open.

here’s the output from Event Viewer’s application errors:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2015-12-11 11:43:42
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: orgg-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: CabbageStudio.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x071e1e00
Faulting module name: CabbageStudio.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x071e1e00
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x0022d290
Faulting process id: 0x1084
Faulting application start time: 0x01d13400cd6be752
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cabbage32\CabbageStudio.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cabbage32\CabbageStudio.exe
Report Id: 7350d6c0-9f10-4b0f-bca4-b5f87b6934b5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-11T10:43:42.212842100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7069</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>orgg-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>CabbageStudio.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>071e1e00</Data>
    <Data>CabbageStudio.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>071e1e00</Data>
    <Data>c000001d</Data>
    <Data>0022d290</Data>
    <Data>1084</Data>
    <Data>01d13400cd6be752</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Cabbage32\CabbageStudio.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Cabbage32\CabbageStudio.exe</Data>
    <Data>7350d6c0-9f10-4b0f-bca4-b5f87b6934b5</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

maybe can help you?

some more output from Event Viewer I missed:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2015-12-11 12:11:29
Event ID: 1005
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: orgg-PC
Description:
Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program CabbageStudio.exe because of this error.

Program: CabbageStudio.exe
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action

1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
  2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    • It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    • It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
  3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
  4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
  5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0
Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1005</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-11T11:11:29.421235900Z" />