Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

AU on Logic 10.2.1, Mavericks

If there are no fails in the AU test I can’t see what the problem is. Do they show Ok? What happens exactly when you try to run them? Can you also check to see what version of Csound you have installed. Did you install a version alongside Cabbage, or during the installation of Cabbage? , and others, have been able to get it running. But it’s still early doors.

The AU test probably failed somehow, and I can PM you the textfile if you want to have a look. What I meant was that I don’t have any other Cabbage-components on my system.

Maybe I have some conflicting csound-files on my system, though.

What happens when I try to load them in Live is described earlier in this thread. In Numerology the AUs load as a module with no “Edit”-button to open the plugins GUI.

Can you simply attach the output to this thread so that others can help too? If you PM it to me then we’re kind of excluding the help of anyone on the list who might be able to chime in with some suggestions. The output from Auval should give us more info about what’s happening.

Hi, just found a minute to look into Cabbage again - I’m happily FSU in a big way in Logic.
Bounces offline very well. Some automation anomalies are present - XY controls don’t output automation for example.
Show stopper so far seems to be the point where you select a new .csd in a 2nd (or nth) instance of Cabbage - causes a crash with no log or text feedback.
Noticed some strange aliasing/ring mod type artefacts on some of the instrument .csd run as ‘midi controlled effect’.
CPU usage seems reasonable so far. Obviously we’re still missing the Software Instrument version, but I have to say this is pretty 'kin awesome Rory. Haven’t even started porting my own stuff yet. Exciting.
Sounds as great as Csound traditionally does too.
Anything you want me to stress test, give me a shout. Cheers, Nick

Thanks for checking it out. I never noticed the crash after loading more than a few instruments, simply because I’ve never tried that! I’ll check it out. I’m very glad that Logic users now have a way to embed Csound into their projects. But it still needs much work.

Hello. I’ve been busy, so I’m sorry for not reporting back on my issues with the CabbageAUs. But today I decided to do a quickt test with the AUs found here Where Do I Get CabbageAU?

And the plugins load in Numerology now, - magic!

Got no time to do more testing now, but this is very cool:)

I’m always worried when I see a new post this thread! But I’m happy to read good news this time!

Hey Rory! I was able to get a few effects working (multi tap delays) without issue in Logic Pro X (10.2.0) but any more advanced effects seemed to crash the audio engine (logic was still working but audio not).

This was with your newest beta builds - instruments still not working… :frowning:

Considering MainStage is very similar to Logic (if not exactly the same audio engine) could we get together donations for you to get a copy? (or if enough donations a copy of Logic Pro X?)

Cheers,
Al

I’m not familiar with Main Stage, but at $30 I can pick up a copy and try it. $200 for Logic is a bit much :frowning:

If you quantify what you get logic is a steal! However considering Mainstage 3 has EVERY instrument/ effect / feature minus the editing space (because it’s made for live performance) it’s pretty much an impossible price.

You can even run it as a re-wire host or any other sort of midi- sound flower solution!

Love the new cabbage! So amazing! Great work Rory!

Purchased a Gametrak the other day- so will make a few instruments/ effects for it in csound/cabbage.

In regard to logic, I’m sure there would be enough of us logic heads that could put in $10 each to raise the money! It’s the least we could do to show our appreciation!

That’s nice of you to offer, but if MainStage has all I need to thoroughly test AudioUnits, then I don’t see the Logic is installed the other software! I might get a chance to check it out over the weekend. I just need to lock myself into a room with my OSX machine and not exit until everything is working!

Ok, I now have instruments working fine in MainStage and Garageband. Fingers crossed they work in Logic too. If not, it’s probably down to the installer. It seemed to be doing something funny when installing the components, but I hope it is resolved now. For the time being I’ve take the AudioUnits out of the main OSX installer and put them in their own installer. It’s just easier for now. Just make sure you have Cabbage or Csound installed before trying the AudioUnits. You can get them here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11301894/CabbageAudioUnitsInstaller.pkg

After breakfast I plan to run a through heavy effects and instruments through them to see what’s going on. Hopefully they all work now…

I’m still messing around with these. Some instrument don’t work well if there ksmps is set to 64. That’s because the initial dummy instrument that opens has its ksmps set to 32. That sets ksmps at 32 for all subsequent plugins. Therefore I’ve added some changes to enforce ksmps of 32 in all synth and effects. It shouldn’t have any affect on the quality of the sound. If you need ksmps set to anything else, just use setksmps in your Csound code.

All instruments that use tables seem to crash as AudioUnits. I’ll look into this next.

[edit] the table issue should be fixed now too. Can you guys try it out and let me know.

Thanks Rory, will check this out soon… You are amazing!

In regard to Logic v’s Mainstage, I was thinking possibly if there was a subtle difference… will check out if it works on the Logic end to verify.

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Rory,

The installer you posted above does not work on my Mavericks machine, simply states Installer Error- contact developer. Looking at console there are no reports etc.

Ok, now installed but not working on my logic… :frowning: This is the AU Validation Log:

validating Audio Unit CabbageSynth by CabbageAudio:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.6.1a1 
Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumu’ - ‘Trz8’ - ‘00436162’

2016-04-28 14:29:14.916 auvaltool[1271:d07] 14:29:14.916 WARNING: [0x7fff79b62310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:662: RegisterComponentsFromArray:
Manufacturer String: CabbageAudio
AudioUnit Name: CabbageSynth
Component Version: 1.0.0 (0x10000)
Component’s Bundle Version: 1.0.0

• PASS

TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
2016-04-28 14:29:14.960 auvaltool[1271:d07] Error loading /Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth: dlopen(/Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth, 262): Symbol not found: OBJC_CLASS$_NSHTTPURLResponse
Referenced from: /Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
in /Users/
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth
FATAL ERROR: OpenAComponent: result: -50,0xFFFFFFCE

validation result: couldn’t be opened
validating Audio Unit CabbageEffect by CabbageAudio:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.6.1a1 
Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumf’ - ‘Wx2a’ - ‘Cabu’

2016-04-28 14:29:14.917 auvaltool[1272:d07] 14:29:14.917 WARNING: [0x7fff79b62310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:662: RegisterComponentsFromArray:
Manufacturer String: CabbageAudio
AudioUnit Name: CabbageEffect
Component Version: 1.0.0 (0x10000)

• PASS

TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
2016-04-28 14:29:14.955 auvaltool[1272:d07] 14:29:14.955 ERROR: [0x7fff79b62310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:678: ResolveFactoryFunction: CFBundle 0x7fe50b3014f0 </Users/_____/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component> (bundle, not loaded): cannot load bundle: The bundle “CabbageAUEffect” couldn’t be loaded.
FATAL ERROR: OpenAComponent: result: -1,0xFFFFFFFF

validation result: couldn’t be opened

The effect is working ok? Can you double check the contents of the AU bundles and makes sure there is only one MacOSX binary in there?

Nothing is working on my system with new component. :frowning:

I made sure that there was only one, there were 2 for some reason, I deleted the extra one, still same issue after deleting the Cache.

Are there any other users having the same issue?

I am on logic 10.2.0 so maybe updating to 10.2.1 will fix?

The installer also reports an error but is able to install the components, (and obviously when I clicked it to install again it installed over the last component. I will try to reinstall everything from scratch.

I’ve asked a few others to check it with Logic and they haven’t reported any problems. I can try uploading just the components again and you can try those. Perhaps there is something strange going on with the installer. I’ll upload them when I’m next at my OSX machine.

Thanks for working on this, rorywalsh! I’m having similar problems to others here, sadly. Using Mac OS 10.11.4, Live 9.2.1.

Getting harshly distorted output using the synth component you posted on Mar. 14th. The AUs from the installers (both the one you posted recently and the ones available on the Downloads page) don’t work at all—auval gives the “Cannot find executable for CFBundle” errors for both components.

Here’s the relevant output from auval from the synth component you posted on the 14th, the one with harshly distorted sound in Live on my machine:

2016-05-07 19:57:03.800 auvaltool[31785:4046498] Error loading /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect:  dlopen(/Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect, 262): Library not loaded: CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64
  Referenced from: /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect
  Reason: unsafe use of relative rpath CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64 in /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect with restricted binary

Everything seems to work fine in the Cabbage standalone, FWIW.