Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

AU on Logic 10.2.1, Mavericks

Thanks Rory, will check this out soon… You are amazing!

In regard to Logic v’s Mainstage, I was thinking possibly if there was a subtle difference… will check out if it works on the Logic end to verify.

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Rory,

The installer you posted above does not work on my Mavericks machine, simply states Installer Error- contact developer. Looking at console there are no reports etc.

Ok, now installed but not working on my logic… :frowning: This is the AU Validation Log:

validating Audio Unit CabbageSynth by CabbageAudio:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.6.1a1 
Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumu’ - ‘Trz8’ - ‘00436162’

2016-04-28 14:29:14.916 auvaltool[1271:d07] 14:29:14.916 WARNING: [0x7fff79b62310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:662: RegisterComponentsFromArray:
Manufacturer String: CabbageAudio
AudioUnit Name: CabbageSynth
Component Version: 1.0.0 (0x10000)
Component’s Bundle Version: 1.0.0

• PASS

TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
2016-04-28 14:29:14.960 auvaltool[1271:d07] Error loading /Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth: dlopen(/Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth, 262): Symbol not found: OBJC_CLASS$_NSHTTPURLResponse
Referenced from: /Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
in /Users/
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUSynth
FATAL ERROR: OpenAComponent: result: -50,0xFFFFFFCE

validation result: couldn’t be opened
validating Audio Unit CabbageEffect by CabbageAudio:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.6.1a1 
Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumf’ - ‘Wx2a’ - ‘Cabu’

2016-04-28 14:29:14.917 auvaltool[1272:d07] 14:29:14.917 WARNING: [0x7fff79b62310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:662: RegisterComponentsFromArray:
Manufacturer String: CabbageAudio
AudioUnit Name: CabbageEffect
Component Version: 1.0.0 (0x10000)

• PASS

TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
2016-04-28 14:29:14.955 auvaltool[1272:d07] 14:29:14.955 ERROR: [0x7fff79b62310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:678: ResolveFactoryFunction: CFBundle 0x7fe50b3014f0 </Users/_____/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component> (bundle, not loaded): cannot load bundle: The bundle “CabbageAUEffect” couldn’t be loaded.
FATAL ERROR: OpenAComponent: result: -1,0xFFFFFFFF

validation result: couldn’t be opened

The effect is working ok? Can you double check the contents of the AU bundles and makes sure there is only one MacOSX binary in there?

Nothing is working on my system with new component. :frowning:

I made sure that there was only one, there were 2 for some reason, I deleted the extra one, still same issue after deleting the Cache.

Are there any other users having the same issue?

I am on logic 10.2.0 so maybe updating to 10.2.1 will fix?

The installer also reports an error but is able to install the components, (and obviously when I clicked it to install again it installed over the last component. I will try to reinstall everything from scratch.

I’ve asked a few others to check it with Logic and they haven’t reported any problems. I can try uploading just the components again and you can try those. Perhaps there is something strange going on with the installer. I’ll upload them when I’m next at my OSX machine.

Thanks for working on this, rorywalsh! I’m having similar problems to others here, sadly. Using Mac OS 10.11.4, Live 9.2.1.

Getting harshly distorted output using the synth component you posted on Mar. 14th. The AUs from the installers (both the one you posted recently and the ones available on the Downloads page) don’t work at all—auval gives the “Cannot find executable for CFBundle” errors for both components.

Here’s the relevant output from auval from the synth component you posted on the 14th, the one with harshly distorted sound in Live on my machine:

2016-05-07 19:57:03.800 auvaltool[31785:4046498] Error loading /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect:  dlopen(/Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect, 262): Library not loaded: CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64
  Referenced from: /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect
  Reason: unsafe use of relative rpath CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64 in /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUSynth.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageEffect with restricted binary

Everything seems to work fine in the Cabbage standalone, FWIW.

That’s an old package. Can you try the one posted here and let me know:

I went ahead and tried those. The standalone installer works fine but the AU installer is still failing.

Initially, the AUs were still complaining about the relative path to CsoundLib64:

2016-05-08 15:32:57.101 auvaltool[26456:360199] Error loading /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect:  dlopen(/Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect, 262): Library not loaded: CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64
  Referenced from: /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect
  Reason: unsafe use of relative rpath CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64 in /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect with restricted binary

I tried using install_name_tool to change the path used for CsoundLib64 in the AUs to the absolute path of its location on my system (as described in https://bitbucket.org/fenics-project/fenics-developer-tools/issues/8/fenics-160-binary-for-os-x-does-not-work) and got a different error:

2016-05-08 16:16:20.533 auvaltool[28978:383214] 16:16:20.533 ERROR:    >compload> 529: CFBundle 0x7f81b9d00b40 </Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component> (bundle, not loaded): cannot load bundle: The bundle “CabbageAUEffect” couldn’t be loaded. (dlopen(/Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect, 262): Symbol not found: _csoundCompileCsdText
  Referenced from: /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect
  Expected in: /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/CsoundLib64
 in /Users/tenfoxes/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/CabbageAUEffect.component/Contents/MacOS/CabbageAUEffect)

I’ll try building it from source and seeing what happens.

At the risk of maybe pulling this thread off-topic, I’ve kind of hit a wall trying to build the AUs from source. I managed to specify the paths to the CsoundLib64 framework, Steinberg’s VST SDK, etc., but now I’m getting these compilation errors (from within XCode):

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "RangeSlider::setValue(float, float)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::updateGUIControls() in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageLabel::update(CabbageGUIType)", referenced from:
  "CabbageLabel::CabbageLabel(CabbageGUIType&, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertLabel(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageEncoder::update(CabbageGUIType)", referenced from:
  "CabbageEncoder::CabbageEncoder(CabbageGUIType&, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertEncoder(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageListbox::CabbageListbox(CabbageGUIType&, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertListbox(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageStepper::update(CabbageGUIType)", referenced from:
  "CabbageStepper::CabbageStepper(CabbageGUIType&, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertStepper(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageFFTDisplay::update(CabbageGUIType)", referenced from:
  "CabbageFFTDisplay::setPoints(juce::Array<float, juce::CriticalSection, 0>)", referenced from:
  "CabbageFFTDisplay::CabbageFFTDisplay(CabbageGUIType&, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertFFTDisplay(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageMessageQueue::flushOutgoingChannelMessages()", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessor::sendOutgoingMessagesToCsound() in CabbagePluginProcessor.o
  "CabbageMessageQueue::addOutgoingChannelMessageToQueue(juce::String, juce::String, juce::String)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertTextEditor(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::changeListenerCallback(juce::ChangeBroadcaster*) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::buttonClicked(juce::Button*) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessor::setParameter(int, float) in CabbagePluginProcessor.o
  "CabbageMessageQueue::addOutgoingChannelMessageToQueue(juce::String, double, juce::String)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor(CabbagePluginAudioProcessor*) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::changeListenerCallback(juce::ChangeBroadcaster*) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::mouseMove(juce::MouseEvent const&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::mouseDrag(juce::MouseEvent const&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::mouseDown(juce::MouseEvent const&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      popupMenuCallback(int, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::mouseUp(juce::MouseEvent const&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageMessageQueue::getOutgoingChannelMessageFromQueue(int)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessor::sendOutgoingMessagesToCsound() in CabbagePluginProcessor.o
  "CabbageMessageQueue::addOutgoingTableUpdateMessageToQueue(juce::String, int)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::createfTableData(Table*, bool) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::updatefTableData(GenTable*) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
  "CabbageMessageQueue::getNumberOfOutgoingChannelMessagesInQueue()", referenced from:
  "CabbageRangeSlider2::CabbageRangeSlider2(CabbageGUIType&, CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor*)", referenced from:
      CabbagePluginAudioProcessorEditor::InsertRangeSlider(CabbageGUIType&) in CabbagePluginEditor.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

It looks like those methods(?) are defined in the CabbageCustomWidgets files in the Source directory under the repository root, but they’re not included in the AU projects. I barely know anything about C or C++ development or making native Mac apps so I’m at a bit of a loss. :smirk:

Make sure you are building from the dev branch rather than the master one. That should sort the compiler error. Are you using 10.10, or have you upgraded to 10.11? As for the other issue, can you double check what version of Csound is in your Library folder? csoundCompileCsdText is a new API function that comes with 6.07 so it should be found.

I’m happy that you’re trying to build this yourself. The more people that can build Cabbage on OSX the better :slight_smile:

Yay, the AUs are working now! Thanks so much for your help!

After switching to the dev branch getting them to build was pretty trivial. The only thing I had to do other than specifying the path to CsoundLib64 was change the framework and header search paths; they included what looked like paths specific to your system, so I changed them to the appropriate paths for my system. :stuck_out_tongue: Not quite sure what the generic solution would be, although the Csound framework is installed to /Library/Frameworks by the Csound installer on my system so maybe that would be safe?

After compiling, though, the resulting components still had relative paths to CsoundLib64 stored, which kept them from working. I am on 10.11 which I imagine is the source of this problem; SIP seems to disallow relative paths to shared libraries.

You were right about my version of Csound, though—I had 6.06. After upgrading to 6.07 and using install_name_tool to specify absolute paths to CsoundLib64, auval stopped complaining. I tried using them from within Live and they totally worked, with clean sound and everything! I’m very pleased. :blush:

There were some discussions about the rpath issue on the Csound mailing list in the past few days. So it’s something they are aware of. I’m glad you were able to build. It would be great if you could have a go with the main Cabbage package too whenever you get a chance. There is a build script in the MacOSX folder call buildAll.sh, Running it with the “all” option from the command line should build everything in one go, as in:

./buildAll.sh all

It simple builds the xcode projects. If that fails you can open each of the xcode projects and modify the build settings there. The scripts is just a simple one step command to build each project. I don’t use OSX much myself, so having another OSX user on board would be a great help.

Hey @rorywalsh, will there be an update to the main cabbage distribution files (pkg) if the dev branch has fixed the issue?

I intend to. But I think I need to upgrade to 10.11 as this seems to be where the issues are. It’s exam time right now so I’ve not had much time to spend on Cabbage with all the correcting I have to do!

Thanks for update. Would the new version of Cabbage run on Mavericks? Or would we all need to upgrade to 10.11?

It should also run on Mavericks. And if it doesn’t at the start we’ll keep at it until it does!

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this! Also sorry for reviving a three-month-old thread—I was going to PM you but I don’t think I have the privileges yet.

If you still need someone to do this I’m happy to get the latest source and give it a shot. I’ve switched back to using Arch Linux as my primary OS but I still have my OSX partition. I’m on my way to bed right now, but I could do it when I get up again.

it should be working now. At least it was working the last time I checked? It doesn’t work in Ardour however, but that’s a different issue! The problem with building from the current source is that I made some changes which I’ve not yet tested on OSX. It’s probably best to leave it until I get a chance to build myself and update the sources. That won’t be for another few weeks though. So, relax, and enjoy your time with Arch Linux!

Ah, all right! Well, feel free to ping me when the time comes. And thanks, I’m enjoying it very much!