Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Audio Path Build Issue

Tbh I’ve no idea. That’s generally why I use one of the in-game console loggers assets from the asset store. I use this a lot.

It looks like I have a rogue version of Csound on my machine somewhere which is preventing me from seeing the same behavior as you. I’ve basically removed all the Csound frameworks I can find, but Unity still runs fine. I’ll keep digging. I’m sure once I find it and nuke it I’ll have the same problems as you.

It looks like it was just some kind of caching that Unity was doing. If I remove the Csound64Lib.framework from my StreamingAssets folder it won’t run.

But as soon as I add it back it works fine although some times I have to restart Unity.

My exported standalone runs fine too. Perhaps you could test my exported standalone on the same machine that your exported build won’t work on and let me know.

Hi Rory, Thanks very much, and so sorry i missed your updates from earlier today; somehow my thread status went to “tracking” from “watching” and i didn’t get email updates.

I’m working on incorporating the Unity-Logs-Viewer system into your test program, and i’ll report back what i find there, hopefully both on Windows and MacOs.

By the way, i did download your exported standalone, and for some reason, when i download it from Dropbox, it doesn’t create a file called “Standalone.app” (which is what i think you created) but rather only the subdirectory of the bundle called “contents”. I spent a bit of time trying to re-“bundle” it into Standalone.app using Xcode, but i didn’t get anywhere.

Thanks again so much for looking into this. I will come back with what i find.

That’s odd. I will zip it for you tomorrow to try out. Note the Unity logs system that I referenced doesn’t seem to work well with the latest version of Unity. But I’m sure there are other out there that will do the trick.

Thanks for the heads up on the Log program. I was, in fact, having some difficulty integrating it into something other than its own sample scene.

Focusing back on MacOS, i did want to report one other finding. As i had posted originally, the Player.log or Editor.log had a lot of warnings of the form: “Fallback handler could not load library …”, and i was focused on the directory structure. The messages were all about either CsoundLib64.dylib, CsoundLib64.so , CsoundLib64.bundle or CsoundLib64.

I did go back and painstakingly re link the directories by hand so at least some of the files it was looking for i.e. CsoundLib64 DOES exist in those directories and the error message still shows up. Is there perhaps some other compatibility problem that might cause Unity not to load them?

Finally, i also noticed that the logs are looking for a file called CsoundLib64.bundle but the build has something called CsoundUnity.bundle. I don’t understand the bundle process so i need to learn more to be useful on the bundles

I will look again tomorrow, don’t know if any of this is helpful :slight_smile:

I am considering trying replacing the libs in the CsoundUnity build with the System-wide ones that are in /Library/Frameworks/ don’t know if that makes sense; Clearly the program works with those

What version of Csound have you installed system wide?

That should be fine. Just copy and paste the entire CsoundLib64.framework into your StreamingAssets folder. That’s basically what I do. I’ll check my Player.Log when I get to work and see if mine has any odd warnings.

Here’s an updated link to a zipped version of that .app

• Thanks for zipping the app file. That downloaded fine.
  • I’m running Csound 6.09.1 (double samples), and both MacOS machines are running 10.10.5 Yosemite
  • If its helpful, here is the full Player.log file from your Standalone app (looking now again, it seems like the fatal exception is DllNotFoundException: /Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64 (at the middle of the file)

Initialize engine version: 2017.2.0f3 (46dda1414e51)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4670 OpenGL Engine
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 3.3 ATI-10.0.35
GLES: 0
GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_container_object_shareable GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_NV_texture_barrier
OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL 3.3 graphics device ; Context level <OpenGL 3.3> ; Context handle 42971136
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly

• Completed reload, in 0.231 seconds
    OnLevelWasLoaded was found on Reporter
    This message has been deprecated and will be removed in a later version of Unity.
    Add a delegate to SceneManager.sceneLoaded instead to get notifications after scene loading has completed

(Filename: Line: 380)

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: ‘Hidden/VR/BlitTexArraySlice’ - Pass ‘’ has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: ‘Hidden/VR/BlitTexArraySlice’ - Setting to default shader.
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘Sphere’) is missing!

(Filename: Line: 1753)

WARNING: 38206320 format is not supported, decompressing texture
Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 112842000 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 1127bf000 -> priority: 1
UnloadTime: 1.171015 ms
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.dylib
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.so
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.bundle
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/.//Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.dylib
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.so
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.bundle
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/.//Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.dylib
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/.//Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.so
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.dylib
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.so
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.bundle
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.dylib
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.so
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.bundle
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/.//Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/.//Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.dylib
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/.//Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64.so
Fallback handler could not load library /Users/ceberman/Downloads/Standalone.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/./lib/Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
DllNotFoundException: /Assets/StreamingAssets/CsoundLib64.framework/CsoundLib64
at (wrapper managed-to-native) csoundcsharp.Csound6/NativeMethods:csoundSetGlobalEnv (string,string)
at CsoundUnityBridge…ctor (System.String csoundDir, System.String csdFile) [0x00000] in :0
at CsoundUnity.Awake () [0x00000] in :0

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at CsoundUnity.OnApplicationQuit () [0x00000] in :0

(Filename: Line: -1)

That looks like the main error alright. I would ignore a lot of the fallback handler. Csound packages both 32 and 64 bit libs so it could be that Unity is attempting to load some of the 32bit stuff. If I remove the framework from my build I get the same error. I’m baffled as to why it’s not working. The good news for me at least is that I’ve been promised an updated Mac in work, which will arrive in a day or so with a completely fresh install of macOS. That will give me the best chance of recreating the issues you are having.

Btw, when you rename the system wide Csound framework I assume your project no longer runs in the Unity Editor?

Yes, that is correct, when i rename /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework it no longer runs in the Unity Editor. That’s a relief…at least there is a reliable and simple way to reproduce the problem for both of us!

(Yet) another question, on Windows 10, is the Csound framework in ProgramFiles/Csound6_x64?

And that shows us that Unity is clearly NOT seeing the Csound framework in the streaming assets folders. Are you using the very latest Unity build? I updated to the very latest yesterday. Might be worth updating so we’re both on the same version too?

That’s usually where it is installed, but on Windows I’m pretty sure it reads from the dlls in the StreamingAssets folder by default.

Thank you, good idea on synchronizing versions, i have upgraded to the latest Unity 2017.2.0f3 on both MacOS and Windows. On MacOs I’m having no problems with the file-based Player.Log and Editor.Log files…so i’m going to use them for now, and punt for now on the Log-Viewer package which has unfortunately hung me up for a while.

I’m going to continue to see if there’s an issue with env variables for shared library loading, or if Xcode or other utilities can show what shared libraries are actually loading.

I’m hoping we can resolve MacOs and then I’ll have more context in tackling Windows. In terms of the Windows log question, i have posted a request on the Unity forums…as I believe it may NOT be dropping logs as it should: https://forum.unity.com/threads/player-log-not-being-created-for-standalone-app-on-windows-10.507585/

Sorry for the multiple messages, but i just wanted to mention that I am using the "lsof -p " command on MacOS to look at actual shared library usage in the running process names by .

Partial Success!! Got it working which is great, but don’t understand the “why” of the directory structure, nor is this a workable build process

this time I was able to create a working app (both on my machine where i moved the system-wide Csound as well as a machine with no Csound distribution) by hand-wiring directories according to the error messages, not using any symbolic links which i did before, and copying the 6.09 csound libs:

• using “Show Package Contents”, i manually went into Contents/Frameworks and created a whole set of directories by hand, using “new folder”:
    • MonoEmbedRuntime
  • osx
  • lib
  • Assets
  • StreamingAssets
  • CsoundLib64.framework

Then i copied the entire contents of the system-wide /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework into the CsoundLib64.framework, and it works! Good to know…but clearly not sustainable as a regular process :slight_smile: Its worth noting that i did NOT copy the csound source (.csd file), or any of my own json files into this directory, so its only the shared libraries that have this issue, not the rest of the files, including Csound.bundle.

I had one more thought that i wanted to run past you, although I didn’t get it to work:I keep wondering if Csound.bundle needs one of the environment variables such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, or DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH? The code in Csound.cs and CsoundBridge.cs only sets “Path”. i did try this by (running the app code directly from the shell) and didn’t get it to work…but it seems to make sense to me

Thanks again for all your help!

I’m glad you got it sorted, and yes I agree it’s not exactly a long term solution! once my new desktop arrives i’ll go through this process on it and I should be in a better position to help out. By Csound.bundle are you referring to the plugin that’s included? I can ditch that once Csound 6.10 is released. It was only there to help me access the input buffer but some new methods have been added to the API so I won’t need to do this in the future. The simpler this thing is the better :wink:

I do not have the standalone app working, but i wanted to share that i was at least finally able to find the log on Windows 10, and it was confusing (to me at least). It’s called output_log.txt and it’s in a hidden directory called /AppData/LocalLow// where the company name and app name are defined in the Build settings -> Player settings at the top. For your sample application build settings the player log is located under
/AppData/LocalLow/DefaultCompany/SampleCSoundProject/output_log.txt.

I’m still confused by the log entries, but at least i know where to look. I can simulate the failure semantics by moving c:\ProgramFiles\Csound6_64 to another name (although it still works in the editor).

my markup didn’t get through…just to clarify that the AppData directory is under your home directory, but hidden

I too can create the problems on Windows. At least I have something to go on now.

This script does a nice job of displaying console messages in a standalone. CsoundUnity is not finding the csound64.dll when run in standalone mode, as you suspected. This is frustrating. It used to work just fine. I’ll see if I can sort it out.