Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage Pro

A few users have been PMing me to ask about the so-called ‘pro’ version of Cabbage. The ‘pro’ version of Cabbage provides an extra export option in the main Cabbage IDE that encrypts the .csd file so end users can’t read it. It also replaces ‘CabbageAudio’ with your company name when the plugin is being exported. Therefore it will show in a DAW under your company name rather than CabbageAudio. It also bundles Csound with the plugins on Windows and OSX. This make distributing the plugin more straightforward.

The cost of a licence is $500 and that covers you for as many plugins as you wish to release with that major version of Cabbage. The major version right now is 2.3.0 and I don’t expect we will see a version 3 for a few years at least.

Note that you are free to sell any plugins you make with the public free version of Cabbage. But under the terms of the GPL, you have to share the Csound source code with them*. If this is a problem for you, you will need the Pro version.

I usually advise people to develop their plugin to the point of it being production ready, and then make a decision on whether a pro license is needed or not. Finally, note that each pro version is bespoke. So you will need to liaise with me in advance of any purchase. Just PM me for more details.

• technically you can also encrypt the csd code yourself by hacking the open source version of Cabbage, but under the terms of the GPL you will have to release the source code for the encryption, so it basically equates to the same end result: users will have access to your code if they want it…
3 Likes

Hey Rory: I received a research grant and want to use a portion of the funds to purchase a pro version of Cabbage. How can I facilitate this? The grant funds are somewhat restrictive in that I have to purchase using a university Purchase Order–will this be possible?? Thanks in advance for your response and I hope that the Purchase Order stipulation won’t make life more difficult.
Jon Nelson
University of North Texas College of Music

Thank Jon, I’ll send a you a PM with details :wink:

i want to get the pro version of cabbage,how it could be done?

Damn 500 bux thats expensive but you have your reasons for that price i assume

You can sell all the plugins you like with the free version :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification and for preserving the integrity of Cabbage as an open-source framework. :pray:

Charging a fee for developers who need to create whitelabel, proprietary plugins seems like a very reasonable way to commercialize Cabbage. :+1:

I’m glad you found a way to generate some commercial funding without introducing a freemium model, which can cause a conflict of interest in open-source projects. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @brylie. I think it’s a fair model. Any updates I make at the behest of “pro” users feed right back into the public branch. And to be honest, it’s the handful of pro users that find the most bugs because they have a much bigger user base than Cabbage itself.

1 Like

This is very similar to the model we used to commercialize MySQL in the early days. Seems fair for people who want to sell plug-ins they created and promote their own brand.

1 Like

Thats amazing!