Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Please help me build on Linux

I am trying to build on Arch Linux (AUR packages are both broken).

I have cabbage and JUCE both in ~/git. I have ~/SDKs with the following sub-directories:
bin doc index.html pluginterfaces public.sdk vstgui.sf

I have gone into ~/git/JUCE/extras/Projucer/Builds/LinuxMakefile and run make, which completes successfully.

When I go into ~/git/cabbage/Builds/LinuxMakefile and run ./buildCabbage, I get tons of errors. The first is ./buildCabbage: line 17: [: ==: unary operator expected. I fix this by changing line 17 from if [ $1 == "debug" ]; then to if [[ $1 == "debug" ]]; then (as the shebang for the build script is #!/bin/bash I am taking advantage of a bash-ism), but then I have many other errors. A sample of the build output is here: https://0bin.net/paste/xUtQ4TzM#jyPU2lLt-qAPQAg+6PpO2sI2+lhk2xXyj0NqXXYHdno

It’s likely that there’s something very simple that I am doing wrong. I would be grateful for assistance.

What version of JUCE are you using?

Did you read the instructions about building on Linux? That would be a good place to start(see below). It’s a pity the AUR packages are not longer working. It would be nice to have them maintained. Have you tried pinging the maintainer to see if they can update it?

I read those instructions and followed them to the best of my ability. My first post details the steps I took based on those instructions. Are they correct?

Does JUCE need to be exactly 5.4.7, as it says in the instructions? I built 6.0.8.

I have flagged one of the AUR cabbage packages (cabbage) out of date yesterday. For the other, cabbage-git, someone else, in April 2020, posted the same error message I got, and there is no response from the package maintainer.

The maintainer of the cabbage AUR pkg posted this colourful comment today in response to a comment of mine saying that zip is a build-time dependency: ‘it’s trying to package cabbagepro which is the commercially licensed version (that’s otherwise no different, you’re just allowed to use it in commercial products). It isn’t even building cabbagepro, so of course it fails. This is going to take a while as I’m going to have to do some major messing with the PKGBUILD script and probably talk with Rory Walsh about it.
edit: Things have changed with JUCE (GUI library cabbage is built on), it was bought by another company, hopefully they’ve removed the nasty tracking garbage the last owners inserted. But it being night time in the middle of nowhere, australia, downloading a new version of JUCE is happening at 10 kb/sec. I think I’ve figured out how to build it all in GPL mode, but it’ll have to wait until the local bogans have quit using all available bandwidth for crappy netflix films’ :slight_smile:

No, that’s not correct. But you do need version 5.4.7, that much is definitely clear.

They have. There is no hidden telemetry any more. All that stuff is gone I believe.

Building goes better when I use JUCE 5.4.7, but the build script still can’t the VST SDK header files. I am getting errors like:

fatal error: pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h: No such file or directory

Where exactly in ~/SDKs should the header files be?

Have a read of this current thread on building for windows

I explain where the headers should go. btw, you will need the vst2.4 SDK

1 Like

Thanks. With these clearer instructions, I can build successfully. sudo ./installCabbage installs.
Also, the AUR package maintainer has made an update. I am testing that, too.

Great. Can you let me know if the packages get updated? Cheers.