Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Short demo video of game made with Unity and Csound

This is a short demo of a simple (as of yet unfinished) game Julia and I wrote for our unborn daughter, who arrived one week later in the form of a beautiful baby boy! Please excuse the quality of the video, the screen recording software gets a little jumpy at times.

The music is generated algorithmically in real time and uses sounds we recorded on location at an artist’s residency in Lough Dan in Co. Wicklow (thank you Lioba for making that happen!).

The music changes according to events that occur in the game, but it is different each time the game is played. Visual elements such as the leaves blowing across the screen are also generated dynamically using the same pseudo-random processes.

We’d like to finish the game someday, but perhaps we will wait till our son is old enough to tell us what should happen next. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this is Unity! It looks very nice Rory. Unity seems to be what I could use for my ear training software idea. But I’m confused, does Unity work in Linux? Is there an open source/free-for-non-profit license?

Cheers.

It does work on Linux, and while it is free it’s not open source. At least not the main engine.

So it’s not possible to GPL your game, right? It’s a shame because it looks really nice what you did. How long did it take to get there?

Two and a half days. We would have loved to spend more time on it, but it just wasn’t possible. I think you could GPL your game, in so far as you could GPL all the source code and release the game for free. People put a lot of MIT licensed assets up on the assets store. Not quite GPL, but not bad either.

Wow, it’s a lot from just two and a half days. I’ll definitely check it out in the future and having a Csound module available will probably simplify the learning curve for me. Thanks Rory.

It’s a very nice environment. It does take some getting used to, but it’s worth the time spent. The connection between components and their scripts is really tight. Note that my wife Julia was produced the art work while I was doing the programming. That speeding things up quite a lot. We shared the assets folder across a LAN and whenever she had something ready I would drag it into the scene. It was a lot of fun, but I guess we also made quite a lot of rookie mistakes in how we dealt with the 2D sprites. But it was a great learning curve.