Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

VCV rack plugin export not showing

I remember that Andrew (the developer behind VCVRack) often points to the Fundamental plugin Makefile example, for static building object dependencies in VCVRack plugins. Here the Fundamental repo: https://github.com/VCVRack/Fundamental
Or maybe the various section related to different engines in the VCV-Prototype Makefile itself, could they be of some use as a reference?
BTW I noticed a # Csound pre-existing draft/snippet at line 182 of the Makefile, by hand of Andrew itself, I guess he can have the best answers for all VCVRack related build issues.
As of Csound itself, some time ago I tried to statically link it as a dependency for a VCVRack plugin, but with no success. I’m sure the Csound build system/support has evolved since then, though I don’t even know if a static build is really viable.
Anyway if there some more testing or scouting I can do, I’ll be glad to try out!

The problem is that VCVRack and Csound have different licenses. I’m not sure it is possible to statically link to Csound from a GPL application, without infecting the application license. Statically linking to LGPL libraries is generally a no-no. I guess the fact that Csound is LGPL makes it an outlier in terms of the languages VCV-Prototype supports. They all seem to be GPL or GPLv3?

I hope your question can be clarified by other developers, or Andrew himself, in the VCV community, as I read your question properly posted there. As for the other languages/engines supported by VCV-Prototype, I think there are already exceptions covered, e.g. is the case with libpd/Pure Data (BSD) and Vult (MIT, if I don’t see it wrong), and they require runtimes.
There’s a statement in the VCV-Prototype license.md that tells “Dependencies included in the binary distributable may have other licenses. See LICENSE-dist.txt for a full list.
But this is quite an obscure matter to me, one should really go with relying on some licensing guru advice!

OK, that makes sense now - the CabbageRack repo when built, provides the module for both Cabbage to use in a build script (when you “Export as a VCV Rack Module”) and/or when you do it manually, as per the repo instructions.

Still doesn’t appear in the Rack browser anywhere for me, not sure why. This is the generated plugin in situ

If you export from Cabbage, the module folder should have the same name as the plugin. It might be that there is some issues with the .json file in the CabbageRack build. To be honest, I never thought anyone would try to use it manually when they can export from Cabbage. I know of three other users who have been using this export function recently on MacOS without any issues. Can you export a plugin as a Rack module and send it to me to test?

…and to be honest, I thought that the CabbageRack repo wasn’t anything to do with the Cabbage app, and that it was only something that existed to support those few users of Cabbage and VCV Rack! The penny only dropped when I explored the innards of the Cabbage app package. Of course it makes much more sense now :crazy_face:

I’ve exported this for you from Cabbage - it’s basically an amended CabbageRack.csd example from the repo.

BoonierTest.zip (172.2 KB)

Odd that it’s working for three other users, which leads me to suspect that it’s something I’m missing

Strange, it loads up here fine but the GUI is missing. Can you try the latest beta of Cabbage, It definitely has the most up to date CabbageRack module. Check the published link from here.

how bizarre. I’m using version 2.5.11

how are you loading it in VCVrack btw? like any other module?

Yeah. What version of MacOS are you on?

NewTest.zip (172.9 KB)
Can you try this one?

10.14.6 Mojave

Should be an entry between Bogaudio and E-series right?

Also, what Rack are you using? I’m using 1.1.4…

[edit] looks like there is a newer version out, 1.1.6…

NewTest didn’t load for me…

I’m using 1.1.6

Right, looks like an issue with the latest version. I’ll upgrade and take a look. Btw, did the Prototype module work for you? I sent it to a mate on MacOS and he couldn’t get it to work at all. Strange.

I just updated and everything is the same for me. Your module doesn’t show any GUI, but all of mine show up fine. :thinking:

Prototype module works great; I’ve yet to dig into it, but it loads and compiles/plays the examples. The code to implement looks unexpectedly terse too

One moment, I just reaslied that I’m using an older version of Cabbage on my Mac. Let me grab the same version you’re using…

[edit] now we are seeing the same issues. I’ll take a look, sorry about that. I was sure I was running the latest version :see_no_evil:

Can you replace the CabbageRack module inside the Cabbage.app folder with the latest mac build from here:

I think I found the problem. It was a pretty stupid thing I was doing :laughing:

Do I need to make clean or something?

I did a rebuild of the repo: make -f Makefile.osx dist then copied the folder from dist into the Cabbage.app folder to replace it. Then exported from Cabbage into plugins-v1. Still not appearing :upside_down_face:

SiTest2.zip (172.3 KB) does this work for you?

It does. The latest beta build of Cabbage features the new build for CabbageRack, but I think your’s is up to date anyway as that module works fine here.